Glory for Nawaz
SUBSTITUTE Shazad Nawaz was the hero as he popped up with two minutes left to win the Asian League Cup for London APSA s Sunday league side against PSG. It was PSG who started the stronger, but young defender Salim Butawala rose to the occasion for APSA,
SUBSTITUTE Shazad Nawaz was the hero as he popped up with two minutes left to win the Asian League Cup for London APSA's Sunday league side against PSG.
It was PSG who started the stronger, but young defender Salim Butawala rose to the occasion for APSA, while goalkeeper Tejinder also made three fine saves.
APSA battled hard for their openings, and almost took the lead when Zain shot wide, and then Safi Iqbal's close-range header was off target.
APSA manager, Sami Mohammed, threw on Yasir, whose pace and control caused immediate problems, and he forced two good stops from the PSG keeper.
You may also want to watch:
For all the Newham clubs efforts, they couldn't find a way through until late on.
A midfield scramble saw captain Imran Khan feed Hussain and his inch-perfect cross was headed home by Nawaz.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 8 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
Boss Mohammed revelled in his side's success.
"I'm really pleased for the boys and I'm amazed at what they have achieved this season.
"We would have settled for mid-table with the team, but they want to emulate the old guard and have shown that they are very capable.
"They know they need to work harder in training and if they do they will win more cups.