Glory for Nawaz
SUBSTITUTE Shazad Nawaz was the hero as he popped up with two minutes left to win the Asian League Cup for London APSA s Sunday league side against PSG. It was PSG who started the stronger, but young defender Salim Butawala rose to the occasion for APSA,
SUBSTITUTE Shazad Nawaz was the hero as he popped up with two minutes left to win the Asian League Cup for London APSA's Sunday league side against PSG.
It was PSG who started the stronger, but young defender Salim Butawala rose to the occasion for APSA, while goalkeeper Tejinder also made three fine saves.
APSA battled hard for their openings, and almost took the lead when Zain shot wide, and then Safi Iqbal's close-range header was off target.
APSA manager, Sami Mohammed, threw on Yasir, whose pace and control caused immediate problems, and he forced two good stops from the PSG keeper.
For all the Newham clubs efforts, they couldn't find a way through until late on.
A midfield scramble saw captain Imran Khan feed Hussain and his inch-perfect cross was headed home by Nawaz.
- 1 Dagenham woman forced to pay £1,000 over rotting waste in garden
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Development that could be coming to the borough
- 3 School's new headteacher on wellbeing and helping pupils realise potential
- 4 Ofsted praises progress of Dagenham school after inspection
- 5 Coroner's report outlines concerns with Stephen Port murder investigations
- 6 Care provider taken to court by council in waste disposal dispute
- 7 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 8 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 9 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 10 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
Boss Mohammed revelled in his side's success.
"I'm really pleased for the boys and I'm amazed at what they have achieved this season.
"We would have settled for mid-table with the team, but they want to emulate the old guard and have shown that they are very capable.
"They know they need to work harder in training and if they do they will win more cups.