GMB union no show at mediation talks with council
PUBLISHED: 17:36 25 June 2015 | UPDATED: 17:45 25 June 2015
GMB union representatives failed to turn up to mediation talks with the council.
The union said that it would only proceed if more money was offered.
Speaking at last week’s cabinet meeting, Cllr Dominic Twomey , the borough’s cabinet member for finance, said: “I am sure members will share my disappointment, but also the fact that certainly we are in no position to offer more money.
“Bearing in mind that 80 per cent of our work force have accepted pay rates, this could not be an option.”
Cllr Twomey said the remaining strikers would still be offered the £500 “goodwill” package if they came back to work , and the change in pre-start times from 30 to 15 minutes would come into effect on November 1 this year.
“I feel the decision we made is the right thing to do,” said Cllr Twomey.
He added that the council was keen to work with trade union representatives and “learn from our mistakes”.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.