Grandpa injured in Chadwell Heath shop explosion
PUBLISHED: 07:00 25 January 2017
A grandad has been left “in shock” after he was engulfed by a fireball while queuing in an off-licence.
Pensioner Stephen Bourne, 67, was waiting his turn in Padnall Stores, Chadwell Heath, when a series of explosions began to rip through the shop after 3pm on Friday.
After hearing a “massive great bang”, Stephen moved towards the source of the sound by the counter – only to be struck by a ball of flames.
“It was like in Indiana Jones, when you see a ball of fire coming through a tunnel, it came from nowhere,” explained Stephen.
He fled the shop across Padnall Road with the shop assistant and another remaining customer close behind him.
His face stinging, Stephen watched on helplessly with his wife Francess, 65, as three further explosions blew out the store’s windows and dislodged half the shop front.
“I’m still in shock,” admitted Stephen, who was treated in Queen’s Hospital, Romford, for flash burns. “It’s surreal really,” he told the Post days after his ordeal.
“You don’t expect for that to happen when you go to the shops.”
A London Fire Brigade spokesman confirmed the fire was caused by an electric fan heater that was too close to stored butane canisters.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.