Great-grandma wins Post’s £500 competition
- Credit: Archant
A great-grandma cried tears of joy when she came into a mini-windfall after winning a competition run by the Post.
Janice Pitt, 62, who works at Asda in Dagenham, said the £500 was completely unexpected.
“I was crying when I found out last week,” admitted Janice, who lives in Treswell Road, Dagenham.
“I’ve been entering competitions all my life but I’ve never won.”
Janice was sitting in McDonalds in Dagenham Leisure Park with her grandson Ronnie, three, when she found out the news.
You may also want to watch:
“I read the paper all the time,” said Janice, who has three grandchildren, eight grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
A fridge freezer is the first item on her shopping list, but she admitted that there are lots of things on her wish list.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 8 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods
Janice was off work with flu over Christmas, meaning she lost hundreds of pounds of pay.
“I was really ill and lost quite a bit money from work - around £450,” she said.
“So this has come at a really good time. I just don’t believe it.”
Janice came across the competition in the January 6 edition of the Post, and correctly identified the number of days in the month to scoop the cash.
The doting grandma, whose clan ranges from three to 23 years old, said she might spend some of her spoils on treating her grandchildren.
“I thought I’d maybe take my older grandchild out for a meal,” she added.