Green and Upson look for England chance
ROBERT GREEN may get an early chance to re-establish himself as England s number one goalkeeper this Saturday when Fabio Capello s team take on Brazil in a friendly. After Green s sending off in Ukraine last month and David James consequent recall, it se
ROBERT GREEN may get an early chance to re-establish himself as England's number one goalkeeper this Saturday when Fabio Capello's team take on Brazil in a friendly.
After Green's sending off in Ukraine last month and David James' consequent recall, it seemed as though the West Ham man's chances would be limited.
But James has broken down again and Capello has a choice between Green, Ben Foster of Manchester United and Joe Hart, currently on loan at Birmingham.
The England coach was at Upton Park on Wednesday night to see Green in fine form, making a stunning save from Stilian Petrov in the first half and then a brilliant penalty stop from Ashley Young in the second.
That should surely be enough to secure a start against the Brazilians in Saturday's game, which will be played in Doha, Qatar.
Matthew Upson will also be hoping for a chance to impress, especially as main rival Rio Ferdinand is missing from the squad once again.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 7 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 8 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 9 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
He will vye with Joleon Lescott and Gary Cahill for a starting place alongside England captain John Terry.
The game would have provided a perfect chance for Carlton Cole to prove that his recent superb club form can be converted to the international game, but his hamstring injury has ruled him out and Sunderland's Darren Bent gets the nod in his place.
The match kicks-off at 5pm and is live on ITV.