Green and Upson look for England chance
ROBERT GREEN may get an early chance to re-establish himself as England s number one goalkeeper this Saturday when Fabio Capello s team take on Brazil in a friendly. After Green s sending off in Ukraine last month and David James consequent recall, it se
ROBERT GREEN may get an early chance to re-establish himself as England's number one goalkeeper this Saturday when Fabio Capello's team take on Brazil in a friendly.
After Green's sending off in Ukraine last month and David James' consequent recall, it seemed as though the West Ham man's chances would be limited.
But James has broken down again and Capello has a choice between Green, Ben Foster of Manchester United and Joe Hart, currently on loan at Birmingham.
The England coach was at Upton Park on Wednesday night to see Green in fine form, making a stunning save from Stilian Petrov in the first half and then a brilliant penalty stop from Ashley Young in the second.
You may also want to watch:
That should surely be enough to secure a start against the Brazilians in Saturday's game, which will be played in Doha, Qatar.
Matthew Upson will also be hoping for a chance to impress, especially as main rival Rio Ferdinand is missing from the squad once again.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
He will vye with Joleon Lescott and Gary Cahill for a starting place alongside England captain John Terry.
The game would have provided a perfect chance for Carlton Cole to prove that his recent superb club form can be converted to the international game, but his hamstring injury has ruled him out and Sunderland's Darren Bent gets the nod in his place.
The match kicks-off at 5pm and is live on ITV.