Guides back after surge in brownies
A GUIDES group that folded a year ago is back after its sister brownies pack saw numbers triple in six months. The Third Dagenham, Guides, for 10 to 14-year-olds, are being relaunched this month at Dagenham Parish Church Hall, Exeter Road, Dagenham. The u
A GUIDES group that folded a year ago is back after its sister brownies pack saw numbers triple in six months.
The Third Dagenham, Guides, for 10 to 14-year-olds, are being relaunched this month at Dagenham Parish Church Hall, Exeter Road, Dagenham.
The unit disappeared after volunteers moved on. The Third Dagenham, Brownies had nine members in September, but after being more active in the community their ranks have risen to 32 .
The guides enjoy outings, trips, concerts, sleepovers and will help customers pack their shopping at Morrison's supermarket, Wood Lane, Dagenham, on March 21.
You may also want to watch:
Leader Vicki Thomas, 24, puts down her professional success as a primary school teacher to the skills she gained when she was a brownie.
Miss Thomas, of Oval Road North, Dagenham, said: "When I was growing up I was looking forward to the meetings every Thursday. I learned quite a few new skills, like working as part of a team, crafts and going out."
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
Last month the brownies had a sleepover at the Guide Association's headquarters in London and spent time at its activity centre, Icando.
As part of the trip they saw the musical Wicked.