HALF TIME: Orient behind to header from debutant Grabban
DEBUTANT Lewis Grabban s 43rd minute header has given Brentford a half-time lead over Leyton Orient in the London derby at Griffin Park.
By IAIN LIDDLE
Half time: Brentford 1 Leyton Orient 0
DEBUTANT Lewis Grabban's 43rd minute header has given Brentford a half-time lead over Leyton Orient in the London derby at Griffin Park.
After a relatively even and uneventful first half, Kevin O'Connor's cross was only half-cleared by Tamika Mkandawire, who fell over in the process, which allowed Grabban to remain onside and head in past a hesitant Jones.
You may also want to watch:
Orient are lining up in a 4-4-2 formation with John Spicer starting on the right-hand side, but with a license to roam infield to collect the ball.
James Scowcroft, in for the injured Scott McGleish, created the first chance of the game on eight minutes when he flicked on to Jonathan Tehoue, who raced clear, but was foiled by a superb last-ditch tackle from O'Connor, who would have seen red if he had made even the slightest error.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
New signing Eric Lichaj unveiled an extra weapon in his armoury on 16 minutes when his Rory Delap-esque long throw eluded everyone in the box and fell to Jason Demetriou, but his header looped over Bees keeper Wofciech Szczesny.
Sam Saunder was then equally wasteful at the other end with a header, as he met a pinpoint cross from Myles Weston, but could only divert his header over the bar.
Scowcroft had two further efforts saved well by the Arsneal loanee, before the game sprang to life on 38 mimutes, when Tehoue's caution for a late challenge on Legge kick-started a series of three bookings in as many minutes.
With the O's ending on the half strongly, the Grabban header came as an unexpected setback, but the visitors will feel confident in their ability to the find a way back in this game.
Stay tuned to IlfordRecorder.co.uk for a full match report, shortly after the full-time whistle.
Orient: Jones, Chorley, Mkandawire, Chambers, Thornton, Demetriou, Daniels, Tehoue, Spicer, Scowcroft, Lichaj.
Subs: Morris, Ashworth, Jarvis, Cave-Brown, Baker, Smith, Patulea.
Bookings: Tehoue, Lichaj.
Brentford: Szczesny, O'Connor, Bean, Saunders, MacDonald, Weston, Wood, Diagouraga, Grabban, Balkestein, Legge.
Subs: Price, Cort, Hunt, Foster, Strevens, Osborne, Blake.
Referee: Mr K Stroud.