Happy Napa is dreaming of a tilt at the world title
POPULAR campaigner Ian Napa returns to the Newham Leisure Centre on Friday night to defend his EBU bantamweight title against French challenger Malik Bouziane. The more experienced Napa should be good enough to send his rival home with a second defeat on
POPULAR campaigner Ian Napa returns to the Newham Leisure Centre on Friday night to defend his EBU bantamweight title against French challenger Malik Bouziane.
The more experienced Napa should be good enough to send his rival home with a second defeat on his record - then look for the winner to urge promoter Frank Maloney to press his world ambitions.
"Every fighter on the planet dreams of a world title fight, and I will prove myself when I get a chance. I am world class," said Napa.
"Bouziane is a big test for me and if I want to be taken seriously at the highest level I will need to show my best form."
You may also want to watch:
A second title fight on the bill sees Bristol star Lee Haskins defend his British super-flyweight title against Nottingham's Jason Booth.
Other fights on an impressive undercard include British featherweight title contender Akaash Bhatia, former Repton heavyweight Larry Olubamiwo and flyweight Ashley Sexton.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
Tickets are available from 0871 226 1508.
* YORK HALL promoter Jim Evans' rival show on Friday features explosive Colombian middleweight Edison Miranda who has stopped 27 of his 31 victims and meets Ugandan Joey Vegas.
Lightweight Shane Watson faces Lee Cook for the vacant Southern Area lightweight title plus there are bouts featuring Newham-based flyweight Najah Ali, plus Ali Adams and Ian Lewison
* PROMOTER Miranda Carter, as usual, relies on boxers from Newham's Ultrachem TKO Gym for feature fights on her Sunday afternoon show.
Light-welter Ashley Theophane should have enough ability to defeat 32-year-old Jon Honney, a Southern Area title-holder who he outpointed three years ago.
Other bouts: Chas Symonds v Badru Lusambya, Ryan Barrett v Geoffrey Munika, Nathan Weise v Louis Byrne, Pat McAleese v Lester Walsh and in a female bout, lightweight Laura Saperstein faces Lana Cooper.