Hardinges snapped up
ESSEX moved to strengthen their Twenty20 squad by signing former Gloucestershire all-rounder Mark Hardinges last week. Hardinges, 31, is a right-handed batsman and fast-medium bowler who is more effective in the shorter version of the game. He has a top s
ESSEX moved to strengthen their Twenty20 squad by signing former Gloucestershire all-rounder Mark Hardinges last week.
Hardinges, 31, is a right-handed batsman and fast-medium bowler who is more effective in the shorter version of the game.
He has a top score of 94 not out and best bowling figures of 4-30, and was delighted to get the chance to move to Chelmsford.
"I am really excited and pleased to get the call from Essex," he said. "If I can help in any way in what is already a good side I will be really happy.
You may also want to watch:
"I have made two previous finals day's of the Twenty20 Cup so I am keen to win it with Essex. As a squad we are more than capable of going that step further."
With Ravi Bopara, James Foster, Graham Napier and Ryan ten Doeschate all potentially missing for Essex in the Twenty20 competition, with call-ups for their countries in the ICC World Twenty20, head coach Paul Grayson, explained why they had snapped up Hardinges.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
"The main reason we have brought Mark into the team is that we may not have four of our main players for the entirety of the Twenty20 Cup," he said,
"We are serious about winning the Twenty20 Cup this season and we want to be sure we have the best team available.
"We could have been left with a light squad and Mark brings experience as a consistent one-day performer.
"His name became available and this was an opportunity we couldn't turn down.