Have they shot themselves in the foot?
THE de-selection of good councillors by the Labour Party regional officers could result in the Labour Party losing control of this borough to the opposition party in the next election. The officers may have taken the view many long standing councillors ar
THE de-selection of good councillors by the Labour Party regional officers could result in the Labour Party losing control of this borough to the opposition party in the next election.
The officers may have taken the view many long standing councillors are now too old and less mobile, also they may think there is not enough women standing for election in some wards and the need for a greater ethnic mix.
All sound ideas but councillors who are now in place have shown they have the support of the community and their age is no problem for example my daughter's problems were sorted out by a councillor who as been thrown out after years of good service, and where is there logic in getting rid of a very competent councillor like Gerry Vincent, so a woman can stand in Longbridge ward?
I wonder if the new candidates have any idea what is coming if they get elected.
I can tell them, their lives will change, their family life will be strained, they will enter a world of back stabbing, get phone calls from people needing help, being on many committees having a diary full up, be expected to toe the party line, be required to go canvassing and getting abuse on the doorstep, holding surgeries.
I was a councillor in Alibon Ward my marriage broke up. When its all over, you wonder if it was worth it.
- 1 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 9 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 10 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July