Ambulance worker Lesley scoops Havering’s St Francis Hospice lottery jackpot
- Credit: St Francis Hospice
Ambulance control worker Lesley Long has scooped £1,000 in a hospice lottery.
The timing was just right because recent storms had left her garage at her home in Dagenham in need of roof repairs and now she has the cash.
Lesley, who works part-time at London Ambulance headquarters, hit the jackpot third time lucky after twice before picking up modest £10 wins on the weekly draw at Saint Francis Hospice in Havering.
“A neighbour had cancer and received fantastic care at the hospice,” said Lesley. “I visited her at saw what a lovely place it was—so I signed up for their lottery and helped sponsor a nurse.”
Saint Francis Hospice at The Hall in Havering-atte-Bower has 150 nurses, doctors and specialist healthcare staff, supported by 800 volunteers.
It gives free care and help to 4,000 people with life-limiting illness such as cancer, heart, lung or motor neurone disease in the boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge and Brentwood.
Hospice nurses make 5,000 home visits every year, but the service needs funds which it raises through its lottery.
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 3 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 4 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
The draw this Friday has a rollover prize of £3,000 in addition to the weekly £1,000 first prize.
Supporters can play online.