Barking and Dagenham fitness group for over 50s turns 18
A popular Barking and Dagenham exercise group giving the over 50s a chance to have fun and keep fit has celebrated its 18th birthday.
The group, which was set up and is managed by the council, has been running since 1994 when it had a core group of 25 members and was based at Goresbrook Leisure Centre.
The numbers grew and as a result another group was set up at Barking Abbey Sports Centre.
In January this year the Goresbrook classes moved to Becontree Heath Leisure Centre, where it attracted even more members.
The sessions include circuit exercises, aqua aerobics, badminton, table tennis and short matt bowls and offer people over 50 the chance to socialise, have fun and be active at the same time.
Anyone in Barking and Dagenham aged 60 or over can attend the classes, plus most other council run exercise facilities, for free.
Elderberries fitness instructor, Ken Naylor, said: “The Elderberries started as a small group but has continued to grow over the past 18 years.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 4 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 5 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 6 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge relishing first friendly says Rance
“The sessions aims to encourage older people to participate in physical activity and try out different sports and games in order for them to lead a healthy lifestyle and tackle day to day tasks.
“The group is also very social and members regularly organise theatre and coastal trips; it’s a social group as well as an active group.”
For more information email email@example.com or call 020 8227 3982.