Barking and Dagenham fitness group for over 50s turns 18
A popular Barking and Dagenham exercise group giving the over 50s a chance to have fun and keep fit has celebrated its 18th birthday.
The group, which was set up and is managed by the council, has been running since 1994 when it had a core group of 25 members and was based at Goresbrook Leisure Centre.
The numbers grew and as a result another group was set up at Barking Abbey Sports Centre.
In January this year the Goresbrook classes moved to Becontree Heath Leisure Centre, where it attracted even more members.
The sessions include circuit exercises, aqua aerobics, badminton, table tennis and short matt bowls and offer people over 50 the chance to socialise, have fun and be active at the same time.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone in Barking and Dagenham aged 60 or over can attend the classes, plus most other council run exercise facilities, for free.
Elderberries fitness instructor, Ken Naylor, said: “The Elderberries started as a small group but has continued to grow over the past 18 years.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 8 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 9 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 10 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
“The sessions aims to encourage older people to participate in physical activity and try out different sports and games in order for them to lead a healthy lifestyle and tackle day to day tasks.
“The group is also very social and members regularly organise theatre and coastal trips; it’s a social group as well as an active group.”
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8227 3982.