Barking and Dagenham has the highest abortion rate in the country
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Barking and Dagenham has the highest rate of abortions in the country last year, according to NHS figures published today.
The figures show there were 1,238 terminations carried out on women from the borough in 2017, of which 47per cent were classed as repeat procedures for a patient who had a previous abortion.
This equates to a rate of 26.7 for every 1,000 women aged 15-44 living in Barking and Dagenham – the highest in England.
The rate for the whole of England is 16.5.
The abortion rate in the borough is highest among women aged 18 to 19 and lowest for those aged under 18.
You may also want to watch:
Most abortions in Barking and Dagenham were carried out in the first ten weeks of pregnancy, 71pc. Just 15pc were done after 13 weeks.
Abortions can be carried out by a surgical operation or by taking a drug. The medical route is more common than surgery in Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night