Barking and Dagenham has the highest abortion rate in the country
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Barking and Dagenham has the highest rate of abortions in the country last year, according to NHS figures published today.
The figures show there were 1,238 terminations carried out on women from the borough in 2017, of which 47per cent were classed as repeat procedures for a patient who had a previous abortion.
This equates to a rate of 26.7 for every 1,000 women aged 15-44 living in Barking and Dagenham – the highest in England.
The rate for the whole of England is 16.5.
The abortion rate in the borough is highest among women aged 18 to 19 and lowest for those aged under 18.
Most abortions in Barking and Dagenham were carried out in the first ten weeks of pregnancy, 71pc. Just 15pc were done after 13 weeks.
Abortions can be carried out by a surgical operation or by taking a drug. The medical route is more common than surgery in Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 2 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 3 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 4 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 5 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 6 Book examines police failings in Stephen Port investigation
- 7 Bow man charged with three offences after Dagenham stabbing
- 8 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Dagenham man loses third of bodyweight during lockdown
- 10 Quickfire double sends Dagenham & Redbridge past Southend United