Barking and Dagenham has the highest abortion rate in the country
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Barking and Dagenham has the highest rate of abortions in the country last year, according to NHS figures published today.
The figures show there were 1,238 terminations carried out on women from the borough in 2017, of which 47per cent were classed as repeat procedures for a patient who had a previous abortion.
This equates to a rate of 26.7 for every 1,000 women aged 15-44 living in Barking and Dagenham – the highest in England.
The rate for the whole of England is 16.5.
The abortion rate in the borough is highest among women aged 18 to 19 and lowest for those aged under 18.
You may also want to watch:
Most abortions in Barking and Dagenham were carried out in the first ten weeks of pregnancy, 71pc. Just 15pc were done after 13 weeks.
Abortions can be carried out by a surgical operation or by taking a drug. The medical route is more common than surgery in Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL