Barking leisure centre celebrates first birthday
- Credit: Archant
Abbey Leisure Centre has welcomed 440,000 visitors since it opened a year ago.
The £14 million centre in Bobby Moore Way, Barking, has hosted 275,000 visits through its aquatics swimming programme since opening on March 16 2015.
Health and fitness figures are up by 40,000 with 115,000 visits within the year, compared to 75,000 at the previous site.
More than 1,080 people have also been helped through the Healthy Lifestyle intervention programme
Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell greeted the first person through the doors and also welcomed the Queen when she officially opened the centre during a visit to the borough in July.
You may also want to watch:
“The Abbey Leisure Centre was built in response to a real need for good quality and affordable fitness provision in the borough which improved the health and wellbeing of our residents,” Cllr Rodwell said.
“I am delighted that it has fulfilled all ambitions which are borne out by the very impressive visitor numbers.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
“I’m sure it will continue to be a much-used and well-loved facility for many years to come.”