Barking leisure centre celebrates first birthday
- Credit: Archant
Abbey Leisure Centre has welcomed 440,000 visitors since it opened a year ago.
The £14 million centre in Bobby Moore Way, Barking, has hosted 275,000 visits through its aquatics swimming programme since opening on March 16 2015.
Health and fitness figures are up by 40,000 with 115,000 visits within the year, compared to 75,000 at the previous site.
More than 1,080 people have also been helped through the Healthy Lifestyle intervention programme
Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell greeted the first person through the doors and also welcomed the Queen when she officially opened the centre during a visit to the borough in July.
You may also want to watch:
“The Abbey Leisure Centre was built in response to a real need for good quality and affordable fitness provision in the borough which improved the health and wellbeing of our residents,” Cllr Rodwell said.
“I am delighted that it has fulfilled all ambitions which are borne out by the very impressive visitor numbers.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
“I’m sure it will continue to be a much-used and well-loved facility for many years to come.”