Barking now offers the help you need to give birth at home
- Credit: Archant
A new service offering pregnant women the support and guidance they need to give birth in their own homes has been launched in Barking.
Four midwives are part of the Sunshine Homebirth Team which are based at Barking Community Birth Centre in Upney Lane.
They will be on hand with new mums during the birth to ensure labour goes as smoothly as possible and in accordance with National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines.
Sandra Reading, Director of Midwifery at Barts Health NHS Trust, said: “We know there are women who would like to give birth in the comfort of their homes, or in a birth centre, but are unsure about the next steps to take.
“The team will review every request individually to support the choices made by women in an effort to deliver safe and compassionate care.”
You may also want to watch:
Friday’s launch included presentations from midwifery staff, as well as an opportunity to meet the new team.
Dr Waseem Mohi, chair of Barking and Dagenham Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “We know that having the right support and environment can make a big difference to you and your baby’s experience of labour and giving birth.”
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
For more information, call 020 8252 8281.