Residents without Covid jab should be challenged, senior councillor says
- Credit: LBBD/Andreas Grieger
Barking and Dagenham's cabinet member for health described the borough's Covid vaccine take-up rates as "horrible" and said people who have not had their jab need to be challenged.
Maureen Worby told an assembly meeting on Wednesday (November 24) that only 55 per cent of the borough's residents have had both jabs - compared to 80pc as a national average.
She added that Barking and Dagenham was only at 12pc for its uptake of booster jabs, compared to 26pc nationally.
Cllr Worby told the meeting: "I have got some horrible statistics. Statistics I'm not proud of and I hope people are listening.
"We need to challenge people within our own communities - why aren't you keeping yourself and others safe?
"We have to get the message out there to our community - this hasn't gone away, it's dangerous.
"Our NHS won't cope this winter if we don't take proactive action in keeping ourselves, our family and our community safe."
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Car park killing: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 6 Car park killing: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 8 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 9 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 10 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
The borough is hosting a vaccine drive over the weekend, offering walk-in clinics where anyone can turn up without an appointment and get a Covid jab.
Vicarage Field shopping centre in Barking is hosting one on the ground floor on Saturday from 9am to 6pm and on Sunday from 11am to 5pm.
You can also get jabbed at Dagenham Library on Sunday between 11am and 4pm.