Beware of coronavirus scammers targeting the vulnerable: council
- Credit: PA
Beware of scammers trying to make a quick profit out of the vulnerable during the coronavirus epidemic, the council has warned.
Coronavirus related scams are being reported across the council trading standards officers have become aware of things that everyone - especially the vulnerable - should look out for while staying at home.
These include people trying to sell virus testing kits - these are only given out by the NHS - and vaccines or miracle cures, which don’t exist.
You should be wary of people offering shopping, medical or cleaning services.
There have also been reports of businesses selling overpriced or fake goods to protect you from the virus, such as hand sanitisers.
The community is advised not to agree to anything that hasn’t been arranged through the council or the NHS.
Councillor Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “Despite this being a public health crisis, there are a very small minority of people that try and take advantage of our most vulnerable.
- 1 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 2 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 4 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 5 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 6 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 7 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 8 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“These scammers are clever and manipulative, but don’t fall for their tricks.”
To avoid becoming a scam victim, you should always check who is at the door before opening it, ask to see ID, and never agree to anything you don’t believe is legitimate.
If you’re concerned about a trader or suspicious individual, email email@example.com to report them.