Cyber attack: Barking and Dagenham’s NHS trust urges patients to only attend A&E in real emergencies
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
In the wake of Friday’s cyber attack on the NHS, Barking and Dagenham’s health trust is urging patients to only visit A&E in real emergencies.
The majority of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) services have not been affected by the ransomware strike, however there could be delays with blood tests, scanning, transport booking and the switchboard.
A small number of appointments have been cancelled however the vast majority are still going ahead.
BHRUT is also helping neighbouring hospitals which have been badly hit by the hack.
Queen’s Hospital, in Romford, and King George Hospital, in Goodmayes, have been transferred patients from Barts Health, one of the trusts caught by the cyber attack.
You may also want to watch:
Hospitals run by Barts, including Newham in Plaistow and Whipps Cross in Leytonstone, were forced to cancel a large number of appointments on Friday and today.
A BHRUT spokesman explained: “People should only attend our emergency departments if it is a real emergency.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
“We are very busy picking up extra patients as a result of the cyber attack.”
In total a fifth of NHS trusts across the country were hit by the ransomware attack, which affected organisations worldwide.