Dagenham mum blames surgery on lack of beds
A hospital launched an investigation into the case of a woman who ended up having an emergency hysterectomy following the birth of her child.
Julie Mason was told by doctors on June 8 to prepare for an early birth but ended up in intensive care a week later after delays in finding her a bed.
Her baby was born by emergency caesarean and is fine, but the 40-year-old believes the life-saving hysterectomy and pain she went through may have been avoided if she had undergone the c-section earlier.
Julie, of Ellerton Gardens, Dagenham, said: “The whole thing was so traumatic for myself and my family and all it would seem because of a lack of beds.”
The mother-of-five ended up losing eight pints of blood during the ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
She had been admitted to Queen’s Hospital on June 4 after suffering severe abdominal pains due to excess fluid around her baby.
Two days later doctors told Julie, who was 36 weeks pregnant, to prepare for a possible c-section. But on June 8 she was informed there were no beds available and was sent home.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
She returned for an appointment on June 13 and was told to be at the hospital at 8.30am the following day to be induced.
“They said I was going to have my waters broken on the labour ward but I had to wait until 2.30pm because there were no beds,” she told the Post. “I couldn’t believe it was happening again.”
“When my waters were broken there were two litres of fluid so my baby ended up turning transverse [sideways.] It caused me a huge amount of pain.”
Doctors then carried out an emergency caesarean and the youngster, who has been named Logan, was born healthy.
However when Julie returned to the labour ward her pain got worse and she started bleeding.
“I was taken into surgery and later woke up in intensive care,” she said. “I was confused and had no idea what had happened to my baby or myself.
“My mum and sister explained I had undergone a hysterectomy to save my life.
“I received no reassurance from staff and little information.”
Julie has since logged a complaint with the BHRUT trust, which manages Queen’s.
Director of nursing at the trust, Deborah Wheeler, said: “I am very sorry to hear that Mrs Mason was not happy with the care she received in our maternity unit.
“We have made enormous improvements to our maternity department in recent months, but unfortunately childbirth can sometimes be complex and unpredictable. However, there is never an excuse for poor care or communication, and a full investigation is being launched.
“Miss Mason will receive a full response to her complaint, and we would be more than happy to meet with her to discuss her concerns.”