Healthy eating scheme launched in Barking and Dagenham schools
- Credit: Archant
A scheme to encourage Barking and Dagenham schoolchildren to stay happy and healthy has seen schools from across the borough gather for its launch.
The Healthy Schools London Scheme encourages to persuade parents and pupils to adopt and sustain healthy lifestyles, with three different levels of awards available. Representatives from primary and secondary schools who attended the event in Barking Learning Centre were able to register for the scheme.
Sponsored by the Mayor of London, it recognises and rewards schools who promote the physical and mental well-being of their pupils.
It encourages children to be physically active, choose healthy food options at lunchtime and inspire their families to be in good health.
Cllr John White, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, said: “This launch is another step towards our vision to improve the health and wellbeing of young people through all stages of their lives.”
You may also want to watch:
Throughout the process, which will see schools attain bronze, silver and gold standards, schools will review their provision of physical activity, healthy food and personal social and health education.
It is hoped that every school in Barking and Dagenham will sign up to the scheme and work to achieve all three levels of the award.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 8 Liam Gordon ruled out for the season as Dagenham boss McMahon provides injury update
- 9 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 10 Men found with head injuries in Barking bailed by police
Participating schools will receive support from the council as well as from initiatives funded by NHS Barking and Dagenham,