Hospital launches campaign to fight the five top diseases
- Credit: Archant
A hospital has launched a campaign to help residents take action against the country’s five deadliest preventable diseases.
The Big Health Pledge, run by BMI The London Independent Hospital, hopes to raise awareness by encouraging local residents to make a pledge to improve their health.
Residents can complete a health survey online to identify which health pledge they could make.
According to government figures there were 1,411 premature deaths in Barking and Dagenham between 2009 and 2011, ranking it at 133rd out of 150 local authorities.
In the same period there were 136 cancer deaths out of 100,000 people, and 82 deaths from heart disease and stroke.
You may also want to watch:
37 people died of lung disease and 19 from liver disease.
Dr Charles Knight, a consultant cardiologist at the hospital, said: “The Big Health Pledge will hopefully get people thinking about how they could eat healthier, be more active, quit smoking, drink less alcohol and be more health aware – all steps to a healthier, happier life.”
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list
Kirsty Baker, executive director at the hospital, said: “Our team is supporting this campaign to help people in the local Barking and Dagenham community look again at how their lifestyle choices can be affecting their health.”
For more information, or to complete the survey, visit bmibighealthpledge.co.uk.