How to get your free flu jab
- Credit: Areca Wilson via Wikimedia Commons
Barking and Dagenham residents are eligible for a free flu jab to help them stay well this winter.
The safe vaccinations stop the spread of flu – a highly infectious illness passed from person to people by touching those carrying the virus, as well as through coughs and sneezes.
Free jabs are offered to groups of people including: anyone aged over 65, children aged between two and eight, those aged between two and 17 with long-term health issues, pregnant women and those with health issues where flu could make them seriously ill.
Others include front line health and social care workers, those living in a long-stay residential care home or similar facility and people receiving a carer’s allowance.
These residents can get the injected vaccine at their GP surgery, except school age children who will be offered it at school.
Housebound people will need to speak to their GP so that arrangements can be made for them to receive the jab.
Cllr Maureen Worby, cabinet member for social care and health integration, said: “I would particularly like to encourage the vaccination of young children, so that they don’t pass the illness onto their parents or more vulnerable grandparents.
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 3 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 4 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 7 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 8 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 9 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 10 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
“Flu is contagious and can potentially have serious implications for elderly people and pregnant women, so make sure you speak to your local GP about getting a flu jab.”
For information, click here.