Increased diabetes diagnosis for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Figures released by Diabetes UK show 7.3 per cent of people in Barking and Dagenham have been diagnosed with diabetes.
The figures come as it has been revealed the number of people in the UK living with the condition has tipped over the four million mark for the first time.
This includes 3.5 million who have been diagnosed and an estimated 549,000 people who are living with undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes.
Now the charity is calling on the NHS to commit to providing good quality care and education.
Roz Rosenblatt, Diabetes UK London manager said: “Until this happens, the rising number of people with diabetes will continue to be denied the best chance of living long and healthy lives and the NHS will continue to be crippled under avoidable but escalating costs of treating poorly managed diabetes.”
You may also want to watch:
To find out more visit diabetes.org.uk/taking-control
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home