Increased diabetes diagnosis for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Figures released by Diabetes UK show 7.3 per cent of people in Barking and Dagenham have been diagnosed with diabetes.
The figures come as it has been revealed the number of people in the UK living with the condition has tipped over the four million mark for the first time.
This includes 3.5 million who have been diagnosed and an estimated 549,000 people who are living with undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes.
Now the charity is calling on the NHS to commit to providing good quality care and education.
Roz Rosenblatt, Diabetes UK London manager said: “Until this happens, the rising number of people with diabetes will continue to be denied the best chance of living long and healthy lives and the NHS will continue to be crippled under avoidable but escalating costs of treating poorly managed diabetes.”
You may also want to watch:
To find out more visit diabetes.org.uk/taking-control
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder