Local hospital trust paid £2,300 for single doctor shift
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital Trust (BHRUT) paid £2,297 for an A&E doctor to work a 24-hour shift last year, it has been revealed.
The astonishing figure came to light following a Freedom of Information request by a national newspaper, which showed the huge amounts of money being spent by UK hospitals on agency staff.
In a list of the most expensive shifts in 2012, BHRUT was among nine trusts which spent more than £1,000 on shifts lasting between nine-and-a-half and 24 hours.
The trust, which manages Queen’s and King George hospitals, is up to £150million in debt.
Speaking of the pay-outs, Katherine Murphy, chief executive of the Patients Association, said: “This is a shockingly wasteful way to run a service.
You may also want to watch:
“So many hospitals are paying vast sums because there is no proper planning and management, so instead we see locums being brought in on a last-minute, ad hoc basis, at huge expense and to the detriment of patient care.”
BHRUT’s medical director, Dr Mike Gill, defended the payments, saying: “In areas where it is particularly difficult to recruit consultants – such as in emergency care – we occasionally have to pay more than we would like to ensure that shifts are covered and patients are receiving the best possible care.”
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 5 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 8 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 9 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed