Londoners warned to be prepared for NHS strikes
- Credit: Archant
Elderly and sick Barking and Dagenham residents are being urged to prepare for NHS industrial action in which thousands of healthcare workers will strike over pay across London this Thursday.
The London Ambulance Service has advised people to stock up on regular medication and seek support from family and friends ahead of their 24-hour strike, which starts at 00.01am on Thursday.
UNISON members including nurses and paramedics will also stage a 12-hour stoppage from 9am to 9pm on Thursday.
Picket lines will be erected at hospitals including Queen’s in Rom Valley Way, Romford.
LAS Chief Executive Dr Fionna Moore said: “We’d encourage Londoners to plan ahead, be sensible about their activities and be prepared should they need medical help on Thursday.”
You may also want to watch:
Dr Moore said Londoners should use alternative health services instead of calling 999, such as visiting their pharmacies or GPs or calling NHS 111.
Delays are likely to continue into Friday as the ambulance service gets back to normal.
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 5 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 8 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 9 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 10 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
UNISON Regional Secretary Linda Perks said that NHS staff are on average 10per cent worse off than when the Coalition came to power in 2010.
She said: “NHS workers don’t take action often or lightly.
“In spite of two four-hour strikes and two periods of action short of strike Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is still not listening.”