Pet Corner: Check your pets for diabetes, say Barking and Dagenham vets
- Credit: Archant
Vets are warning pet owners of a rise in diabetes cases and urging them not to be complacent about spotting symptoms.
YourVets in Whalebone Lane South, Dagenham, has seen a spike in the number of animals and is urging owners to arrange check ups for their pets.
The call comes during National Diabetes Month this November that seeks to raise awareness about the condition.
YourVets said owners should watch out for fatigue, sudden weight loss, hair thinning, cloudy eyes, vomiting or increased thirst, hunger or urination – all symptoms of Diabetes.
Pets over age five and overweight pets are most at risk and the condition can be life-threatening if left untreated.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Butler, practice manager at YourVets Dagenham, said: ““It is surprising how few people are aware that animals can develop diabetes just like humans.
“What is worrying is the number of pets diagnosed during a routine check-up.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 4 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 5 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 6 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 7 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 10 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
She added: “The symptoms can easily be misinterpreted as something less serious so we’re urging owners to bring their pet into the clinic if they’re not sure.”
Diabetes is a condition where the level of glucose in a person’s blood is too high due to their pancreas failing to make insulin.
To book your pet for a check-up or for more information call 0203 597 7501.