Women’s rights councillor selected for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Women’s rights and healthy lifestyles are set to become central to the agenda at Barking and Dagenham Council.
As part of the push, councillors Afolasade Bright and Syed Ahammad have been made the council’s new champions for women and equalities and healthy lifestyles respectively
Cllr Darren Rodwell, leader of the council, said: “These two councillors are already leading by example and I am sure they will work closely with members of the community to make a difference.”
Cllr Bright has experience in working with women from different backgrounds and cultures, with her women’s organisation, Sapphirez.
She said: “I am really excited and looking forward to doing what I love to do best – championing the causes of women.
You may also want to watch:
“Women are a great asset and deserve this recognition.”
Cllr Ahammad said: “It’s no secret our borough has plenty of challenges in terms of health.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
“But I cannot and do not accept we can’t change things for the better.
“It will be my mission to help encourage residents to get fitter, healthier and happier.”