Women’s rights councillor selected for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Women’s rights and healthy lifestyles are set to become central to the agenda at Barking and Dagenham Council.
As part of the push, councillors Afolasade Bright and Syed Ahammad have been made the council’s new champions for women and equalities and healthy lifestyles respectively
Cllr Darren Rodwell, leader of the council, said: “These two councillors are already leading by example and I am sure they will work closely with members of the community to make a difference.”
Cllr Bright has experience in working with women from different backgrounds and cultures, with her women’s organisation, Sapphirez.
She said: “I am really excited and looking forward to doing what I love to do best – championing the causes of women.
You may also want to watch:
“Women are a great asset and deserve this recognition.”
Cllr Ahammad said: “It’s no secret our borough has plenty of challenges in terms of health.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 6 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
- 10 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
“But I cannot and do not accept we can’t change things for the better.
“It will be my mission to help encourage residents to get fitter, healthier and happier.”