Women’s rights councillor selected for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Women’s rights and healthy lifestyles are set to become central to the agenda at Barking and Dagenham Council.
As part of the push, councillors Afolasade Bright and Syed Ahammad have been made the council’s new champions for women and equalities and healthy lifestyles respectively
Cllr Darren Rodwell, leader of the council, said: “These two councillors are already leading by example and I am sure they will work closely with members of the community to make a difference.”
Cllr Bright has experience in working with women from different backgrounds and cultures, with her women’s organisation, Sapphirez.
She said: “I am really excited and looking forward to doing what I love to do best – championing the causes of women.
You may also want to watch:
“Women are a great asset and deserve this recognition.”
Cllr Ahammad said: “It’s no secret our borough has plenty of challenges in terms of health.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest
“But I cannot and do not accept we can’t change things for the better.
“It will be my mission to help encourage residents to get fitter, healthier and happier.”