Women’s rights councillor selected for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Women’s rights and healthy lifestyles are set to become central to the agenda at Barking and Dagenham Council.
As part of the push, councillors Afolasade Bright and Syed Ahammad have been made the council’s new champions for women and equalities and healthy lifestyles respectively
Cllr Darren Rodwell, leader of the council, said: “These two councillors are already leading by example and I am sure they will work closely with members of the community to make a difference.”
Cllr Bright has experience in working with women from different backgrounds and cultures, with her women’s organisation, Sapphirez.
She said: “I am really excited and looking forward to doing what I love to do best – championing the causes of women.
“Women are a great asset and deserve this recognition.”
Cllr Ahammad said: “It’s no secret our borough has plenty of challenges in terms of health.
- 1 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 2 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 3 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 4 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 5 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 6 Barking BikeFest comes to town
- 7 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 9 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
“But I cannot and do not accept we can’t change things for the better.
“It will be my mission to help encourage residents to get fitter, healthier and happier.”