Hitting dancefloors after dropping 16 stone
A MOTHER of two who was diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol can finally take up her childhood passion of dancing after losing 10 stone. Janis Spring, from Rush Green Road, was a dancer but after getting married and having kids her weight started
A MOTHER of two who was diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol can finally take up her childhood passion of dancing after losing 10 stone.
Janis Spring, from Rush Green Road, was a dancer but after getting married and having kids her weight started to creep up until she was pushing a size 26.
Now Janis, 42, is a slim size 12 and says she has never felt healthier, her type two diabetes and cholesterol problems are under control and for the first time in years she is going dancing again.
"When I first started the SureSlim programme my husband, Daren, promised to take dance classes with me", said Janis.
"I was a dancer years ago and did ballet and modern jazz. Now I would love to take up Salsa or Ballroom."
Janis started at SureSlim, Upminster, in December 2007 and her incredible progress has inspired her entire family.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 4 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 5 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge relishing first friendly says Rance
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
Her husband, Daren, 41, has lost an incredible six stone and their daughter Danielle, 18, has lost four stone - a combined family weight loss of 20 stone!
SureSlim encourages healthy eating habits for life and does not rely on quick fixes or fad diets.
Within the first week Janis had lost nearly a stone.
She said: "I had always cooked big meals with pasta and rice so the family suffered with weight problems.
"I thought it would be difficult to change my ways because I love bread and a creamy curry.
"But seeing how quickly the weight came off really spurred me on."
Losing weight has helped Janis find her confidence and she has just qualified from Newham College with a diploma in IT. Before that Janis had held the same job since she was 16.
Janis said: "Before I lost the weight I was practically a recluse.
"Now I walk everywhere and have started searching for a new career. In October we went to Florida and I wore skirts and sleeveless tops.
"I would even wear a bikini now!"
Janis' vow to lose weight came after Christmas 2007 and her friends and family couldn't believe the transformation when they saw her a year later.
Janis said: "Everyone was so complimentary and supportive. SureSlim saved my life - it was the best �400 I ever spent.
"I hope my story will inspire other people to believe they can lose weight too."
As part of their Which Weigh scheme Barking and Dagenham NHS are offering 120 free places at the SureSlim programme - which normally cost �400.
For more information contact your GP or go online at www.bdpct.nhs.uk.