Hitting heights with four stars
A TOP performance rating has been secured by Barking and Dagenham Council.. The Audit Commission, an independent watchdog, awarded the council four stars out of four, putting it among the best performers in the country. Barking and Dagenham Council was al
A TOP performance rating has been secured by Barking and Dagenham Council..
The Audit Commission, an independent watchdog, awarded the council four stars out of four, putting it among the best performers in the country.
Barking and Dagenham Council was also deemed to be 'improving strongly'.
The results are a significant step up from last year, when the council was given three stars and from 2004 when they received just two stars.
This year's report said the council had made significant improvements for children, housing, benefits and ensuring council tax is being spent responsibly.
Council leader, Cllr Charles Fairbrass, said: "These outstanding results clearly show that we have some of the best services in London.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 5 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 6 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 7 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 8 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 9 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 10 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
"In these tough economic times it's great to know we are giving excellent services and providing value for money."
Chief executive Rob Whiteman added: "This is wonderful news and a fantastic achievement by all our staff.
"The council does not get everything right, but awards like this show that compared to other councils we are keen to learn and that we get a great deal right.