Man led to safety from overnight house fire in Dagenham
- Credit: LFB
A man was led to safety from a house fire in Dagenham, which is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.
Part of the ground floor of a semi-detached house in Thicket Grove was damaged by the fire in the early hours of this morning (November 3).
The man was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews after being led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
London Fire Brigade (LFB) believes the blaze was accidental and caused by “the unsafe disposal of a cigarette”.
An LFB spokesperson said: “We'd rather you didn't smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it's absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you've finished smoking it.
"If you don't, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home but also cost you your life."
The brigade was called at 1.51am and the fire was under control shortly before 2.30am.
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 3 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 6 Dagenham must get back on track or face another mid table season
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 10 Things to do in east London this weekend