Revealed: How many homes are sitting empty in your area
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ever wondered how many homes in your area are sitting empty?
We looked at data compiled by the department for levelling up, housing and communities to see how many residential properties in London boroughs are recorded as empty or second homes for the purposes of council tax.
Camden has the third-highest percentage of homes that are empty nationally with 3.7pc - amounting to more than 4,000 vacant properties.
Newham ranked 17th (2.9pc) with around 3,500, while neighbouring Barking and Dagenham had the sixth-lowest percentage in England (0.7pc) with a little over 500 empty homes.
Camden also ranked eighth in the country for the percentage of properties that were classed as second homes with 6.8 per cent - more than 7,600.
Tower Hamlets had the 13th highest (4.6pc) with around 6,500, while Haringey had the lowest in England with no recorded second homes.
Here's a breakdown of how many dwellings are recorded as empty and second homes across north and east London boroughs:
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 8 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
Barking and Dagenham: 540 (0.7%)
Barnet: 3,268 (2.1%)
Brent: 2,077 (1.6%)
Camden: 4,181 (3.7%)
Hackney: 1,758 (1.5%)
Haringey: 1,994 (1.8%)
Havering: 1,114 (1%)
Islington: 1,897 (1.7%)
Newham: 3,584 (2.9%)
Redbridge: 1,519 (1.4%)
Tower Hamlets: 2,699 (1.9%)
These are among around 468,000 dwellings across England recorded as empty for the purposes of council tax as of September 2021.
Barking and Dagenham: 148 (0.2%)
Barnet: 2,775 (1.8%)
Brent: 226 (0.2%)
Camden: 7,648 (6.8%)
Hackney: 786 (0.7%)
Haringey: 0 (0%)
Havering: 159 (0.1%)
Islington: 268 (0.2%)
Newham: 216 (0.2%)
Redbridge: 925 (0.9%)
Tower Hamlets: 6,530 (4.6%)
These are among around 253,000 dwellings across England recorded as second homes for the purposes of council tax as of September 2021.