Regeneration is about 'winning hearts and minds', council leader says
- Credit: Andrew Baker
Real regeneration is not about "bricks and mortar", but "winning hearts and minds".
That was the message from Barking and Dagenham Council's leader, Cllr Darren Rodwell, at a ceremony marking the Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment.
He said: "Real regeneration is about using our investment to power the economy in a way that gives people better opportunities.
"It’s much more than bricks and mortar, it’s about winning hearts and minds."
Cllr Rodwell was at an event hosted by building firm Wates Residential to top out the first of 201 homes in Abbey Road, Barking.
The ceremony coincided with the launch of a report by the town hall's regeneration arm Be First which boasts of pumping £39million into the borough's economy since 2017.
Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment will see more than 2,200 "affordable" homes, tree-lined streets and parks created.
The topping out ceremony celebrated the completion of two towers rising six storeys and 12 storeys. The work is due to be finished by April.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
- 9 McMahon 'really disappointed' to see Dagenham & Redbridge defeated by Stockport
- 10 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022