The Duchess of Sussex in Dagenham, as told by the students
- Credit: PA
Excited students have told how they met the Duchess of Sussex on a day they’ll never forget when she visited their school last week.
In one of her last engagements as a working royal, Meghan visited the Robert Clack Upper School in Dagenham ahead of International Women's Day.
While a video clip of head boy Aker Okoye — 'she really is beautiful, innit' — went viral, other students were equally awestruck by Meghan.
The duchess described her visit as 'incredibly profound', emphasising that each pupil has 'a voice' and 'the right to speak up for what is right.'
Buoyed by those words, here's what a few of them had to say about the visit.
You may also want to watch:
Olivia Collins, 18: 'This visit is certainly one I will remember, as the crucial celebration of women was recognized by a leading female figure in the British consciousness. As I am from a borough with issues surrounding gender equality, I think that Meghan Markle recognising our area and our school is incredibly powerful.'
Freddie Halton, 15: 'We knew a special visitor was coming but we didn't know who. Someone like Meghan Markle doesn't normally come to Dagenham! It was amazing. When she walked down the aisle we were right close to her.'
- 1 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 4 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 5 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 6 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
- 9 Free parking for NHS staff and key workers extended
- 10 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
Charlotte Fleisher, 15: 'It was amazing to see Meghan in the school! I couldn't believe it when she congratulated me for receiving the citizen of the week award and shook my hand. This memory will stay with me forever.'
Ali Ali, 12: 'This day was the best day of my life! I never imagined that I, a regular 12-year-old, would shake hands with Meghan Markle!'
Year 7 pupils also loved the visit.
Fabio Petraru said: 'I never expected to have such an honour of meeting a royal, but there I was at Robert Clack School meeting one of the most special and important people today.'
Popina Brennan added: 'It was amazing. We were all screaming and crying in excitement. Seeing Meghan Markle inspired be to try harder and be the best me I can be.'
Ula Lapinskaite said: 'We were all waiting at our tables and then we saw Meghan Markle through a window the teachers forgot to cover! I was honestly so excited because I was getting this once in a lifetime opportunity'.
And Janelle Arthur said: 'It was fun seeing Meghan up close even if I wasn't sitting next to her. I just felt her positive energy in the room.'