Ilford mourn tragic death of stalwart Laurence Dordoy
ILFORD AC S walking section were this week mourning the tragic death of popular member Laurence Dordoy, 53, who died following a road accident. Dordoy s motorbike was involved in a collision with a car on his way home from work on Friday, causing serious
ILFORD AC'S walking section were this week mourning the tragic death of popular member Laurence Dordoy, 53, who died following a road accident.
Dordoy's motorbike was involved in a collision with a car on his way home from work on Friday, causing serious injuries which resulted in his death the following day.
In his two spells with Ilford AC he earned many awards, showing promise and talent right from his earliest involvement in athletics.
He was a former winner of the coveted English Schools' Walking title and in later years he raced over a variety of distances, being equally at home over short track sprints and in much longer road walks.
You may also want to watch:
Only six weeks before his death, he won a gold team medal in the National 20km Championship at Shrewsbury.
Dordoy still gave a wonderful account of himself on race days, often at the expense of competitors half his age.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 8 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 9 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 10 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
A club spokesperson said: "He was immensely popular at Ilford AC, and in the sport at large, and will be truly missed."
Dordoy's funeral service will be held at Forest Park Crematorium, Forest Road, Hainault, on Tuesday, June 9 at noon.