Ilford pair’s medal battle
ILFORD S walkers contested the Essex County AAA 3,000m Walking Championship at Chelmsford s impressive Melbourne Park Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Last year s champion, Ilford s Scott Davis, had to miss out owing to work commitments, so there was to be a
ILFORD'S walkers contested the Essex County AAA 3,000m Walking Championship at Chelmsford's impressive Melbourne Park Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Last year's champion, Ilford's Scott Davis, had to miss out owing to work commitments, so there was to be a new name on the trophy, and from the off, Canvey Islander Phil Barnard took charge of the event and was untroubled en route to a 14 minutes and 57 seconds victory.
In his wake, an enthralling duel was acted out between Steve Uttley and Stephen Crane.
The final circuit saw Uttley pull clear, opening a sufficient gap to secure the silver in 15.34 and Crane took bronze in 15.52. In fourth was Laurence Dordoy in 16.53 while in fifth was Dave Sharpe in 17.11.
Ilford's walkers will be in action this weekend at the Essex County AAA 10,000m Championship at Ashtons Track.
- 1 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 2 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 3 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 5 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 6 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 7 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Long-life food, foil and credit: Readers' tips for saving money this winter
- 10 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures