Ilford runner set for charity run
ILFORD AC competitor Micky Sutton is to take part in a 65-mile running challenge in aid of a new military charity - Project 65. He will be taking part to promote the charity, which commemorates the famous Coup de Main operation, where a small party of Bri
ILFORD AC competitor Micky Sutton is to take part in a 65-mile running challenge in aid of a new military charity - Project 65.
He will be taking part to promote the charity, which commemorates the famous Coup de Main operation, where a small party of British servicemen crash-landed into France in order to seize the famous Pegasus and Horsa bridges in Normandy at the start of D-Day.
Representing the 200 soldiers in the operation, 200 runners will set off on June 4 from Tarrant Rushton airfield, Dorset, where the operation was launched, and head towards Portsmouth.
The runners will catch the ferry to Ouistreham, Normandy, before running to the bridges, making up the 65 miles.
More information can be found at www.project65.net.
"I'm running to honour the men who took part, and feel that it is a privilege to do so," said Sutton.
- 1 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Kittens dumped in Barking 'like rubbish' in 35C heatwave
- 6 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 7 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham dealer supplied Class A drugs to Colchester users
- 10 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
Project 65 aims to raise �500,000, part of which will be used to erect a lasting memorial to the men of the Coup de Main force and those directly associated with that operation 65 years ago. You can donate at www.justgiving.com/mickysutton