Ilford runner set for charity run
ILFORD AC competitor Micky Sutton is to take part in a 65-mile running challenge in aid of a new military charity - Project 65. He will be taking part to promote the charity, which commemorates the famous Coup de Main operation, where a small party of Bri
ILFORD AC competitor Micky Sutton is to take part in a 65-mile running challenge in aid of a new military charity - Project 65.
He will be taking part to promote the charity, which commemorates the famous Coup de Main operation, where a small party of British servicemen crash-landed into France in order to seize the famous Pegasus and Horsa bridges in Normandy at the start of D-Day.
Representing the 200 soldiers in the operation, 200 runners will set off on June 4 from Tarrant Rushton airfield, Dorset, where the operation was launched, and head towards Portsmouth.
The runners will catch the ferry to Ouistreham, Normandy, before running to the bridges, making up the 65 miles.
You may also want to watch:
More information can be found at www.project65.net.
"I'm running to honour the men who took part, and feel that it is a privilege to do so," said Sutton.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list
Project 65 aims to raise �500,000, part of which will be used to erect a lasting memorial to the men of the Coup de Main force and those directly associated with that operation 65 years ago. You can donate at www.justgiving.com/mickysutton