BARLEY boys Keith Anthony and Paul Meckiff proved there is plenty of life in the club s senior players this week with an excellent victory in the National over-55 pairs. The team took on the experienced Wanstead Central pairing of George Curtis and Ken Sp
BARLEY boys Keith Anthony and Paul Meckiff proved there is plenty of life in the club's senior players this week with an excellent victory in the National over-55 pairs.
The team took on the experienced Wanstead Central pairing of George Curtis and Ken Spicer and proved far too strong for them on the day, booking their place in the next round with a comfortable 29-16 victory.
There were mixed fortunes for the club in the team events over the weekend as first Ilford gained ample revenge for Barley beating them last week in the Jackson Shield, before the Metropolitan Police Chigwell's progress was arrested the following day.
Mike Patten, Keith Anthony, Ken Weames and skip Dave Manning were the big Barley winners over at Ilford in the Jackson Shield as they triumphed by 27-13, but there was no such luck on the other two rinks.
You may also want to watch:
Dennis Griffiths, Roy Wilson, Alan Donovan and Salvatore Bruno were thumped 29-11 and John Dulieu, Norman Warwick, Dennis Houseman and Mike Durston fared little better, going down 25-16 to leave the final score at 67-54 in Ilford's favour.
The mixed triples clash with Met Police proved far more rewarding as although one of the rinks was tight, Barley still won on all three.
- 1 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 2 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 3 Queen's Birthday Honours: Badminton club founder gets BEM
- 4 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 5 Man in drink driving arrest as overturned car on A13 causes queues
- 6 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 Family endures 'horrific leaks' at Dagenham block of flats
- 9 London Assembly member seeks Met assurances over Euro 2020 'disorder'
- 10 Barking and Dagenham district girls fall short in final against Woking
The close one saw Colin Keogh, Jean Veryard and Dave Manning sneak home by 22-21 against M Whitehead, A Barr and R Rolf, but there were no such palpitations on the other rinks.
Roy Rea, Peggy Keogh and Bill Netting got home 18-12 against B Scott, G Whitehead and R Roberts, while Derek Crisp, Doris Riches and Linda Netting were even more emphatic, winning 18-6 to give Barley overall victory by 58-39.