In support of Simon
FORMER world featherweight champion Colin McMillan is supporting a fund-raising event at the Prince Regent Hotel, Chigwell, on Saturday night for ex-boxer Simon Sugar-free Somerville. The youth worker was the victim of a knife attack in south London las
FORMER world featherweight champion Colin McMillan is supporting a fund-raising event at the Prince Regent Hotel, Chigwell, on Saturday night for ex-boxer Simon 'Sugar-free' Somerville.
The youth worker was the victim of a knife attack in south London last month.
The evening will include a disco, speeches about knife crime and an appearance of sporting personalties, including McMillan.
He said: "Simon is a really close friend. We have known each other from the amateurs and later, when I was in New York training at Gleason's Gym, he would be there looking out for me.
You may also want to watch:
"He is one of the sport's good guys, a true hero, and this a real tragedy. Thankfully he appears to be pulling through - but the problem of weapons on the streets needs to be addressed."
Doors open at 7pm, with tickets priced at �10 and available on the door. For more information contact Noel Tierney on 07968 081722.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 'Not a matter of shifting blame': Port victim's family receives another apology from detectives on case
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Police failed to flag up 'significant' incident
- 6 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 7 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock