International call for Jason
ONE crumb of comfort for the O s in a disappointing season to date has been the emergence of young midfielder Jason Demetriou, writes TREVOR DAVIES. And the 21-year-old s form has been rewarded with an international call from Cyprus as he has been include
ONE crumb of comfort for the O's in a disappointing season to date has been the emergence of young midfielder Jason Demetriou, writes TREVOR DAVIES.
And the 21-year-old's form has been rewarded with an international call from Cyprus as he has been included in their squad for the Cypriot FA's 12th International Tournament.
Demetriou will link up with the Cyprus team after Saturday's game at Tranmere Rovers for the tournament, which also features Serbia, Ukraine and Slovakia.
Cyprus take on Serbia next Tuesday and either Ukraine or Slovakia 24 hours later.
You may also want to watch:
Demetriou, who qualifies through his father, is one of the few English-based players to be called up to the Cypriot team.
"It's a massive honour and I'm really looking forward to it," said Demetriou.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
"It's a big opportunity for me and it will be great to test myself on the international stage.
"Hopefully, I can be involved when the World Cup qualifying campaign starts again."
Demetriou admitted that his chances of gaining international honours with England were remote. "That was always going to be a big ask, but this was always a second option and I'll be proud to represent Cyprus through my dad's side of the family," he said.
*MEANWHILE, Orient's on-loan defender Jordan Spence will also be on international duty next week. The young West Ham star has received a call-up to the England under-19 squad for their friendly with Spain on Tuesday.