International call for Jason
ONE crumb of comfort for the O s in a disappointing season to date has been the emergence of young midfielder Jason Demetriou, writes TREVOR DAVIES. And the 21-year-old s form has been rewarded with an international call from Cyprus as he has been include
ONE crumb of comfort for the O's in a disappointing season to date has been the emergence of young midfielder Jason Demetriou, writes TREVOR DAVIES.
And the 21-year-old's form has been rewarded with an international call from Cyprus as he has been included in their squad for the Cypriot FA's 12th International Tournament.
Demetriou will link up with the Cyprus team after Saturday's game at Tranmere Rovers for the tournament, which also features Serbia, Ukraine and Slovakia.
Cyprus take on Serbia next Tuesday and either Ukraine or Slovakia 24 hours later.
Demetriou, who qualifies through his father, is one of the few English-based players to be called up to the Cypriot team.
"It's a massive honour and I'm really looking forward to it," said Demetriou.
- 1 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 2 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 3 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 4 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 5 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 10 Barking BikeFest comes to town
"It's a big opportunity for me and it will be great to test myself on the international stage.
"Hopefully, I can be involved when the World Cup qualifying campaign starts again."
Demetriou admitted that his chances of gaining international honours with England were remote. "That was always going to be a big ask, but this was always a second option and I'll be proud to represent Cyprus through my dad's side of the family," he said.
*MEANWHILE, Orient's on-loan defender Jordan Spence will also be on international duty next week. The young West Ham star has received a call-up to the England under-19 squad for their friendly with Spain on Tuesday.