It's a brave man who challenges litter louts
THERE WILL be many in awe of our correspondent Mr J Wheeler (see Letters p11) and his attitude towards litterbugs. Don t bother with being fobbed off with excuses from schools over their pupils dropping litter, he says, get in their faces. He says he pick
THERE WILL be many in awe of our correspondent Mr J Wheeler (see Letters p11) and his attitude towards litterbugs.
Don't bother with being fobbed off with excuses from schools over their pupils dropping litter, he says, get in their faces.
He says he picks up the rubbish and physically gives it back to them, saying "there's a bin there, mate".
If they give him back chat, he gives it back!
You may also want to watch:
How many of us have yearned to be as brave as Mr Wheeler when seeing litterbugs in action?
When it comes to antisocial behaviour littering is high on the list, but there are few who would challenge the perpetrators.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 5 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Litter pickers mark opening of new community centre in Dagenham
Many, and not just young people, think nothing of chucking rubbish in the street, it seems as natural as breathing the air.
And it's not just pedestrians. Take a glance at the verges on the side of our roads and you will see piles of rubbish drivers have tossed from their cars.
It needs a change in culture and maybe Mr Wheeler's solution will turn the tide.
Many of us might not be as brave - we'll settle for getting in their faces...and then running!