It's a brave man who challenges litter louts
THERE WILL be many in awe of our correspondent Mr J Wheeler (see Letters p11) and his attitude towards litterbugs. Don t bother with being fobbed off with excuses from schools over their pupils dropping litter, he says, get in their faces. He says he pick
THERE WILL be many in awe of our correspondent Mr J Wheeler (see Letters p11) and his attitude towards litterbugs.
Don't bother with being fobbed off with excuses from schools over their pupils dropping litter, he says, get in their faces.
He says he picks up the rubbish and physically gives it back to them, saying "there's a bin there, mate".
If they give him back chat, he gives it back!
How many of us have yearned to be as brave as Mr Wheeler when seeing litterbugs in action?
When it comes to antisocial behaviour littering is high on the list, but there are few who would challenge the perpetrators.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 3 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 4 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 5 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 6 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 10 Inquest told Zara Aleena died from head and neck injuries
Many, and not just young people, think nothing of chucking rubbish in the street, it seems as natural as breathing the air.
And it's not just pedestrians. Take a glance at the verges on the side of our roads and you will see piles of rubbish drivers have tossed from their cars.
It needs a change in culture and maybe Mr Wheeler's solution will turn the tide.
Many of us might not be as brave - we'll settle for getting in their faces...and then running!