It's coronation street
THIS happy scene depicts a Dagenham street party celebrating the coronation of King George VI in 1937. The get-together, complete with flags and bunting, was held in a traffic banjo in Bromhall Road on the Becontree Estate. Former Dagenham resident Arthur
THIS happy scene depicts a Dagenham street party celebrating the coronation of King George VI in 1937.
The get-together, complete with flags and bunting, was held in a traffic banjo in Bromhall Road on the Becontree Estate.
Former Dagenham resident Arthur Rowlinson sent the picture to the POST in the hope that some of our readers would remember the happy occasion.
"By chance, does anyone else remember this time?" he said.
"I would dearly like to know what my old friends are up to now and if they still live in the area."
Arthur, who is now 86 and lives in North Wales, is the young boy sitting at the front left of the photograph with a rather cheeky grin.
- 1 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 2 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 3 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 4 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 West Ham's Kurt Zouma admits to kicking and slapping his cat
- 6 Barking BikeFest comes to town
- 7 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 8 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 Trust cuts waiting list backlog created by computer error
His mother, father and brothers and sisters are all in the picture too.
Arthur and his family were the first to move into the newly built house at 115 Bromhall Road, Dagenham, when the Becontree Estate was built. He said: "It is a wonderful photo and very special because my family are all together.
"I was rather hoping that someone would see it and spot themselves or a family member because I'm sure they would have some wonderful stories to tell."
If you recognise yourself in this picture or any of your friends and family please call the POST newsdesk on 0208 477 3778 and share your memories. Arthur is at 21 Gadlas Road, Colwyn Bay, North Wales, LL29 8TD, telephone 01492 514805.