It’s three out of five for Ilford
THREE Ilford AC walkers finished in the top five at the Addington Vase Seven Miles. Stephen Crane crossed the line in second behind defending trophy holder and former Commonwealth Games international Mark Easton, competing for the hosting Surrey Walking
THREE Ilford AC walkers finished in the top five at the Addington Vase Seven Miles.
Stephen Crane crossed the line in second behind defending trophy holder and former Commonwealth Games international Mark Easton, competing for the hosting Surrey Walking Club.
The two competitors were stride-for-stride until the half-way mark when the champion walker found that extra burst to gain a slender lead.
Easton won in 56.04 seconds, with Crane coming second in a personal best 56.38. Peter Ryan was embroiled in a battle for third place with former Olympic Games competitor Ian Richards.
You may also want to watch:
In the end, Richards proved too strong and claimed third spot in 59.57, with Ryan fourth in 61.14.
Steve Uttley walked a sound 63.25 to come fifth in a strong field, as Ilford welcomed back Portuguese international walker Francisco Reis after a decade out of the sport.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
Reis, Ilford's top walker in the mid-80s, sustained a thigh strain midway through the race and pulled out.
On Saturday, Ilford AC will be contesting the annual Enfield Open Seven Miles Walk at Lee Valley.