Jason on his way
ORIENT midfielder Jason Demetriou enjoyed plenty of high spots last season - but the 21-year-old admits that the past week has been extra special, writes TREVOR DAVIES. First, Demetriou was called into the Cyprus squad for their World Cup qualifier again
ORIENT midfielder Jason Demetriou enjoyed plenty of high spots last season - but the 21-year-old admits that the past week has been extra special, writes TREVOR DAVIES.
First, Demetriou was called into the Cyprus squad for their World Cup qualifier against Montenegro which takes place at the start of June.
Then, on Saturday, he was named as the Orient Supporters' Club Star Man at their annual end-of-seaon dinner.
"It really has been a week to remember, that's for sure," an excited Demetriou told the Recorder.
You may also want to watch:
"I was delighted when I got a call for Cyprus again and then the award at the weekend meant so much to me.
"To be given that by the supporters really helps you as a player, because it really gives your confidence a lift.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest
"The players who won awards at the club presentation the week before really deserved them, but for me to pick up the main award on Saturday was a great thrill."
It's a busy time for Newham-born Demetriou. While most of the O's players are preparing for their summer break following the end-of-season awards, the midfielder will be packing his bags to fly out to Cyprus on Sunday to train with the national side for a couple of weeks.
"We have a week's training before we play a friendly against Canada on May 30," explained Demetriou.
"Then, the following week, we play Montenegro in a World Cup qualifier."
Demetriou broke into the Cyprus squad for the first time last February, when he was call-up for the Cypriot FA's 12th international tournament, which featured Serbia, Ukraine and Slovakia.
The O's midfielder made his international debut against Serbia in Nicosia when he came on during a 2-0 defeat, but in the next match against Slovakia, he had a hand setting up three goals in a 3-2 success.
To read the interview in full, see this week's RECORDER.