Jimmy Neighbour dies at 58
FORMER West Ham winger Jimmy Neighbour has died suddenly at the age of just 58. The former Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City man recently had a hip replacement and was recovering at his Woodford Green home, when he suffered a heart attack on Saturday, th
FORMER West Ham winger Jimmy Neighbour has died suddenly at the age of just 58.
The former Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City man recently had a hip replacement and was recovering at his Woodford Green home, when he suffered a heart attack on Saturday, the day Hammers took on Spurs, two of his old clubs.
Neighbour, who was born in Chingford, played 102 times for the Hammers bet-ween 1979 and 1983.
His big moments for the club came in cup competitions.
You may also want to watch:
He played in much of West Ham's European Cup Winners' Cup campaign, while he was one of the stars of the Hammers' run to the League Cup Final, also in 1981.
He scored a last-minute goal to help beat Coventry City in the semi-final second leg, and then played in both the final and the replay against Liverpool.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 6 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 7 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
Neighbour went on to be a youth development officer at Upton Park until 1994 and in one of his last interviews, he said:
"Even though I supported Spurs as a boy, West Ham will always hold a special place in my heart.