Jimmy Neighbour dies at 58
FORMER West Ham winger Jimmy Neighbour has died suddenly at the age of just 58. The former Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City man recently had a hip replacement and was recovering at his Woodford Green home, when he suffered a heart attack on Saturday, th
FORMER West Ham winger Jimmy Neighbour has died suddenly at the age of just 58.
The former Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City man recently had a hip replacement and was recovering at his Woodford Green home, when he suffered a heart attack on Saturday, the day Hammers took on Spurs, two of his old clubs.
Neighbour, who was born in Chingford, played 102 times for the Hammers bet-ween 1979 and 1983.
His big moments for the club came in cup competitions.
You may also want to watch:
He played in much of West Ham's European Cup Winners' Cup campaign, while he was one of the stars of the Hammers' run to the League Cup Final, also in 1981.
He scored a last-minute goal to help beat Coventry City in the semi-final second leg, and then played in both the final and the replay against Liverpool.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 6 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
Neighbour went on to be a youth development officer at Upton Park until 1994 and in one of his last interviews, he said:
"Even though I supported Spurs as a boy, West Ham will always hold a special place in my heart.