Joanna Lumley new patron of Dagenham charity
John Phillips ACTRESS Joanna Lumley has become the patron of an award-winning Dagenham charity which sends tons of garments to developing countries each year with the help of disabled workers. The staunch human rights campaigner, who charmed Gordon Brown into letting G
ACTRESS Joanna Lumley has become the patron of an award-winning Dagenham charity which sends tons of garments to developing countries each year with the help of disabled workers.
The staunch human rights campaigner, who charmed Gordon Brown into letting Gurkha veterans settle in Britain last month, is the new celebrity figurehead of the Osborne Partnership, which recycled more than 230 tons of clothes, giving work to 20 disabled people last year, and scooped an Archant newspaper group environment award in November.
The former New Avengers and Absolutely Fabulous star, 63, a passionate environmentalist, said: "I'm so impressed by the important and effective work the Osborne Partnership undertakes. I'm very proud to be a patron to the charity.
You may also want to watch:
"My fondest best wishes to them all and the fine people both undergoing training and to those teaching them."
Osborne projects manager Ian Wall, 38, is hoping Lumley, who was tied up filming last week, will soon visit the charity in Osborne Square.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 4 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 6 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 7 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
He said: "It's 'absolutely fabulous' to get the support of such a well known celebrity to endorse the work of the Osborne Partnership.