John Erskine in Kent writes
Ok, so the Fulham result was not what we expected. Especially after being 1-0 up at half time against 10 men! The way we were playing even before the sending off was indicative of us giving Fulham a pasting, regardless of players on the field. However, n
Ok, so the Fulham result was not what we expected. Especially after being 1-0 up at half time against 10 men!
The way we were playing even before the sending off was indicative of us giving Fulham a pasting, regardless of players on the field.
However, not for the first time this season, a different team emerged for the 2nd half. Sleepy, complacent, arrogant, overpaid or any other description you could care to label it as, the end result was the same - conceding sloppy goals and haemorrhaging self-belief.
Was it GZ's fault or did the players just think they had it in the bag and get lazy/complacent?
Let's not mention the ref's poor performance: even the commentators mentioned that he seemed to want to make every free kick about him.
How long did he take over every free kick in the 2nd half?
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 7 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 8 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 9 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
How did Murphy not even get booked when he clearly should have seen red for 2 cynical fouls (one a carbon copy of that which Jimenez got booked for but further up the pitch).
The penalty - soft in my opinion. Soft of Upson to concede it but also of the ref to give it as the end of the altercation was clearly (watch the extended highlights carefully) Kamara pushing over Upson, not vice versa. Though Upson might have done enough with his original foul.
On the plus side, the eventual response, although lacking self-belief, was good football that just lacked the final product (a good shot on target).
There were plenty that just missed that would have left Schwarzer helpless had they not, but GZ needs to address this.
CC now has much better accuracy but the rest of the team desperately need some shooting practice,
And shot/pass selection needs improving too. I realise that we were chasing the game, but shoot on sight is not always the best policy either.
I lost count of the number of times a player shot when a colleague was much better placed via an easy pass.
Let's hope the rocket they get/got brings the right response sooner rather than later....
I think that GZ deliberately made the players wait an hour afterwards before giving them what for so that they could stew on it.