Kendrick kills off Goodmayes hope
WANSTEAD CENTRAL retur-ned to winning ways with a narrow 44-43 overall victory against Goodmayes in their latest Alfa Group Triples League clash. The Nutter Lane outfit won on two of the three rinks with the only triple to miss out being Lou Jacobs, Colin
WANSTEAD CENTRAL retur-ned to winning ways with a narrow 44-43 overall victory against Goodmayes in their latest Alfa Group Triples League clash.
The Nutter Lane outfit won on two of the three rinks with the only triple to miss out being Lou Jacobs, Colin Foster and George Coster, who were comfortably beaten 21-12 against S Hughes, D Smith and R Mansell.
That setback was just about made up for by the other two rinks, whose combined victory helped Central home by a single shot.
Keith Lloyd, Bill Wray and Rod Hudson got the wood rolling with a 20-13 win over R Webster, B Hillery and W Hart, and in a low-scoring decider, it was Tony Pratt, Jim Reynolds and Derrick Kendrick who came through 12-9 against J Arrowsmith, R King and K Gadenne to give them five points to Goodmayes' two.
There was no such luck in the Clark-White League where Connaught proved far too strong and took all six points available.
At home, Steve Minns, Dave Crouch, John Ellis and Len Welton were beaten 22-16, while over at Connaught, Gerry Rose, John Sankey, Peter Norgate and Bob Druce found the going just as tough, losing 23-17.
- 1 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
Central had a better day in the Redbridge Afternoon League when they defeated Clayhall 36-34, winning both rinks by a single shot.
Tony Pratt, Bill Whenman, Brian Jones and Mick Bird won their rink 19-18, while Roy Hawkins, Dave Crouch, Stan Edwards and John Ellis sneaked home 17-16.
Central were rewarded with all six points.
In a Redbridge Afternoon Mixed League fixture, Central lost 41-28 against lford, both sides winning a rink apiece.
Joyce Johnson, Bill Whenman, Rita Shepherd and Mick Bird pipped their opponents 16-15, but George Curtis, Muriel McFarlane, Janet Bird and John Ellis went down 26-12, as Ilford grabbed four points to Central's two.
To complete a disappointing week, it was also a bad day for Central in the Walthamstow & District Thursday Afternoon Fours League with all three teams losing.