Ladies edged into fourth
NEWHAM and Essex Beagles finished fourth in their final UK Women s League meeting of the current season in Wigan on Saturday. For most of the day, the team just about managed to hold on to third place, but the final three individual track events saw them
NEWHAM and Essex Beagles finished fourth in their final UK Women's League meeting of the current season in Wigan on Saturday.
For most of the day, the team just about managed to hold on to third place, but the final three individual track events saw them overtaken and drop to fourth, by a mere three points.
The day started with three field events and in the long jump, Amanda Ranger leapt 5.86 metres for first place in the A string, while Charis O'Connor was first in the B event with 5.36m.
The pole vault saw Melissa Strevens vault 2.70 metres for fifth position, and Kelly Montgomery finished fourth in the B with 2.30m.
In the hammer, Sue Lawrence threw 37.55m for sixth in the A, and Natasha Scarlett 22.19m for sixth in the B event.
The first track event saw Leigh Lennon finish first in the 800m with a time of 2.09.18, while Adele Stach-Kavitz was sixth in the B with 2.40.03.
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 3 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 4 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 7 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 8 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 9 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 10 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
Claire Spurway won the 100m in 12.41 and Susannah Banjo the B event in 12.85.
The 200m saw Claire Spurway third in 25.40, while Banjo again won the B event in 25.27.
In the 400m, Ashleigh Williams was fourth in a time of 59.38, and Rochelle Jones was seventh in 1.08.65.
Stach-Kavitz went in the 1,500m, finishing seventh in 5.29.76, while the 100m hurdles saw Helen Morton fifth in 16.36 and Kelly Montgomery one behind in 18.73.
The discus saw Sue Lawrence sixth after a throw of 33.74 metres and Stach-Kavitz seventh with 16.88m.
In the javelin, Morton was sixth with 31.17m and Lawrence won the B event with 31.14 metres.
The shot saw two pole vaulters filling in with Strevens in eighth with 6.22m and Montgomery also eighth with 5.93 metres.
The final two field events started with the triple jump, where Amanda Ranger came third with 11.69m and Kirsty Smith won with 10.97m.
In the the high jump, O'Connor was first with 1.65m and Morton was second with 1.50m.
The 4x100m relay saw Banjo, Spurway, Jones, and Ranger second in a time of 49.34, while in the 4x400m relay, Morton, Williams, Banjo, and Lennon finished third in a time of 3.58.36.