Ladies smash Loughts for six
EAST LONDON Hockey Club Ladies made an explosive start to the season last Saturday with a commanding 6-1 home victory against Old Loughtonians. The opening match of this year s campaign was controlled from the start by East London and their superiority
EAST LONDON Hockey Club Ladies made an explosive start to the season last Saturday with a commanding 6-1 home victory against Old Loughtonians.
The opening match of this year's campaign was controlled from the start by East London and their superiority was soon rewarded when Sophie Hollington slipped the ball past the keeper.
Hollington doubled the lead with a vicious top corner strike, before Isobel Harbison grabbed the third to cap an excellent performance on her league debut for the club.
Old Loughts pulled one back before half time, but Hollington and Sophie Williams put the game beyond any doubt with three more goals leaving the score 6-1 to the Sparrowhawks and putting them second, on goal difference in Essex Women's Hockey League Division One.
The ladies' second team were less fortunate losing 3-0 in their opening day away fixture against Thurrock.
The men's team took part in a pulsating pre-season friendly against West Hampstead, which ended in a 3-3 draw.
- 1 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 2 Local makers market coming to Barking Riverside this Christmas
- 3 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 4 Residents without Covid jab should be challenged, senior councillor says
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 Covid-19: How Barking and Dagenham's figures compare to last year
- 7 Man facing 'lifelong consequences' of Barking traffic cone assault
- 8 Man arrested, two taken to hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 10 Dagenham's injury problems building up ahead of Notts County trip
The match saw an excellent return to fitness for Lee Tickner and provided a solid warm up for their first EHL Division 3SE game against Phoenix.