Leading lights in action
TWO of Ilford Walking Club s leading lights lined up for the well-established and testing Pednor Open five-miles event which takes entrants around a difficult one-lap circuit in the Chiltern Hills. Leader from the off was Leicester s Mark Wall, but he
TWO of Ilford Walking Club's leading lights lined up for the well-established and testing Pednor Open five-miles event which takes entrants around a difficult one-lap circuit in the Chiltern Hills.
Leader from the off was Leicester's Mark Wall, but he hit the wall early on, allowing Peter Ryan to head the field, a position he held to the finishing line, which he crossed in 44 minutes and six seconds.
Steve Uttley passed the fading Wall and got to within a few paces of Ryan until the latter's emphatic eight minutes and 18 seconds last mile ensured victory by 60m, with his Ilford colleague just 25 seconds in arrears.
At the Victoria Park Open 5K, Laurence Dordoy came 11th in a class field after clocking 29 minutes and 28 seconds for 11th spot.
You may also want to watch:
In a veteran's 3K, Dordoy lined up again and was rewarded with ninth position in 17.56 while club colleague Dave Sharpe fared slightly better, holding down sixth place with 17.04.
- 1 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 2 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 3 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 4 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 9 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 10 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council