Leading lights in action
TWO of Ilford Walking Club s leading lights lined up for the well-established and testing Pednor Open five-miles event which takes entrants around a difficult one-lap circuit in the Chiltern Hills. Leader from the off was Leicester s Mark Wall, but he
TWO of Ilford Walking Club's leading lights lined up for the well-established and testing Pednor Open five-miles event which takes entrants around a difficult one-lap circuit in the Chiltern Hills.
Leader from the off was Leicester's Mark Wall, but he hit the wall early on, allowing Peter Ryan to head the field, a position he held to the finishing line, which he crossed in 44 minutes and six seconds.
Steve Uttley passed the fading Wall and got to within a few paces of Ryan until the latter's emphatic eight minutes and 18 seconds last mile ensured victory by 60m, with his Ilford colleague just 25 seconds in arrears.
At the Victoria Park Open 5K, Laurence Dordoy came 11th in a class field after clocking 29 minutes and 28 seconds for 11th spot.
You may also want to watch:
In a veteran's 3K, Dordoy lined up again and was rewarded with ninth position in 17.56 while club colleague Dave Sharpe fared slightly better, holding down sixth place with 17.04.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 Staff to strike at primary school in Dagenham
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 6 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 7 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 8 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 9 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge